Friday, January 21, 2011

Sewing History

So after Halloween I had a ton of friends saying how great the kids Halloween Costumes were. The number one question I kept getting was why don't I sew for a living?  To be honest I had never thought of that.

I grew up watching my mother sew everything from regular clothes to costumes, pillows to bags. I was shown how to cut patterns and sew basic things together.  Then there were several years there was  no sewing done in the house. I moved out on my own. Sewing was not something I was doing.
Then a bunch of friend and I were going to Windycon in Chicago and I needed to make my own costume. No problem I thought I grew up doing this.  You can guess the disaster of my first attempt.
I cut my pieces easy enough but I could not figure out why the sewing machine was not working. Needless to say if your ever sewing for the first time on a new machine remember to put the sewing foot down.

I slowly drew out the memories of watching my mother sew to actually design and make really good costumes.  I started to reteach myself and learn new techniques from anyone that would teach me.

A few years later I joined the SCA, Society for Creative Anachronism, and learned a whole new set of skills. One side effect of the SCA is that everyone sews or has someone that sews for them. Same with the Convention crowds.
The thought that I could sell my sewing never crossed my mind because everyone sews so who would want to buy what they can make.

I have recently had it explained to me that this not the truth. I have also recently realized that I do have a talent for sewing. So I have decided to give selling a chance. But what to make and sell. That will be on my next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment